Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
I am interested in becoming involved in Neighborhood Watch. Who do I need to contact?

Contact the La Mirada Community Sheriff’s Station at (562) 902-2960 and ask for the Neighborhood Watch Coordinator. You can also send an email to

Can a Deputy order me out of my car during a traffic stop?

Yes, the law does allow deputies to order you out of your car. The law also allows deputies to order you to remain in your vehicle. The law gives deputies this power in order to ensure the safest possible contact for both you and the deputy.


When must a deputy read me my rights?

When you are in custody and a deputy wants to interrogate you as a suspect of a crime, he/she must read you your Miranda rights.  Also, juveniles are advised of their rights whenever they are arrested, whether they are questioned or not.


Why do deputies block the street and call more deputies to help them arrest someone?

Deputies are trained to take whatever precautions are necessary in order to ensure everyone’s personal safety.  Closing a street or asking for additional deputies increases safety, deputies are encouraged to do so as an additional precaution.


Why did it take so long for deputies to come when I called them?

When you call for police services, it is prioritized based on the level of crisis it represents.  Life-threatening and crimes in progress calls receive top priority.  If a crime has already occurred and there is no danger to the reporting parties, deputies will respond as soon as they are finished handling emergency calls.  The order in which deputies handle their calls is constantly changing because new calls for service, both emergency and non-emergency, are continually being received.

Response times are continually being reviewed to find better ways to provide faster service. To help us in this effort, please use 9-1-1 only in life-threatening situations.  On all other occasions, please call the La Mirada Community Sheriff Station at (562) 902-2960.


Who can I call if I have a question or need to complain about police procedures?

If you have a question about police procedures, or wish to make a complaint, call the La Mirada Community Sheriff’s Station at (562) 902-2960.


How do I compliment a deputy?

You may compliment a deputy’s work by calling the La Mirada Community Sheriff’s Station at (562) 902-2960. The compliments received from the community are a great boost for the deputies. These compliments also help us identify where and how the deputies that are making a positive difference in the community.


How do I file a police report?

Contact the La Mirada Community Sheriff’s Station at (562) 902-2960 and they can have an officer contact you, or you may come into the station to make the report.


How do I find out the status of a police report I have filed?

Contact the La Mirada Community Sheriff’s Station and leave a message with the detective that is handling your case. If you are unsure of the detective’s name, the officer that answers the telephone can be of assistance. It is helpful if you have your file number available.


How do I get a copy of a police report?

To get a copy of a police report, visit the Norwalk Sheriff's Station, 12335 Civic Center Dr. in Norwalk.  Please make sure to have the file number available for the officer.  If the report is active and has suspect information, you will need to contact the detective that is handling your case in order to receive a copy.


How do I get fingerprinted?

The La Mirada Community Sheriff’s Station does not offer fingerprinting services to the public.  You can contact the Records and Identification Bureau located at 12440 Imperial Highway, Norwalk or at  (562) 465-7825 to find more information regarding fingerprinting services.


How do I pay for a parking ticket, or contest a citation?

You can pay for a City of La Mirada parking ticket at La Mirada City Hall located at 13700 La Mirada Boulevard or send a check to City of La Mirada Parking Citation Processing, P.O. Box 2081, Tustin, CA 92781-2081. Please include the citation number on the check, money order or cashier’s check. Do not send cash. Make checks payable to the City of La Mirada.

To contest a citation, you must request an administrative review within 21 days of issue date by writing to the City of La Mirada Parking Citation Processing, P.O. Box 2081, Tustin, CA 92781. You must provide your reasons for requesting an administrative review and include copies of all applicable documentation relating to the citation and your appeal. They will not be returned.


How do I register a gun?

The Sheriff’s Department does not register firearms. Private gun dealers will complete the necessary state forms for you for a fee.


My car was towed in La Mirada. How do I find out where it is, and how do I get it back?

Contact the La Mirada Community Sheriff’s Station at (562) 902-2960 with the vehicle’s license plate number. To get the vehicle back, the registered owner needs to obtain a vehicle release at either the La Mirada Community Sheriff’s Station or Norwalk Sheriff’s Station.  If the registered owner does not have a valid driver’s license, he/she must bring someone with them who does. The registered owner must also have a valid form of government identification. The vehicle also must be current with the Department of Motor Vehicles.  A fee in the amount of $65 must be paid to the City of La Mirada upon receiving the vehicle release.  Cash only please.  Additional fees at the tow yard may apply.


How can I find out if someone is in custody?

Contact the Norwalk Sheriff’s Station at (562) 863-8711 and ask to speak with the jailer or log on to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s website at Inmate Information page.


How can I get a restraining order?

The best way is to contact an attorney.  However, you may obtain a packet at the Norwalk Courthouse and file for a restraining order yourself.  The judge will determine if a restraining order will be granted. Once the restraining order has been issued, bring a copy of the order and the proof of service to the La Mirada Community Sheriff’s Station and Norwalk Sheriff’s Station.  Keep a copy with you wherever you go, because a violation of court order report can only be made with a copy of the court order and the proof of service present.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer