[5/2/2020] HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE DISPOSAL EVENT [CANCELLED]
The Countywide Household Hazardous/Electronic Waste (HHEW) Collection Program has been put on hold in response to County and State directives to implement social distancing in order to protect staff and the public from exposure to COVID-19.
HHEW teams at the County have been monitoring the situation closely to assess the potential impact to staff and operations and have agreed to cancel all HHEW collection events scheduled to May 16, 2020. As a result, the HHEW event scheduled at La Mirada Park for May 2, 2020 has been cancelled. The County does not anticipate cancelled events being rescheduled this year due to the full schedule already planned.
For additional information, contact the Public Works Department at (562) 902-2385 or visit the County’s website at https://dpw.lacounty.gov/epd/hhw/Hhw.
FREE HOUSEHOLD HAZARDOUS WASTE ROUNDUP IN LA MIRADA
La Mirada residents will have the opportunity to safely dispose of household hazardous waste items free of charge at the La Mirada Regional Park in the Tennis Court Parking Lot, off of Adelfa Drive on Saturday May 2, 2020 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Materials such as motor oil, paint, turpentine, cleaners which contain acids or lye, household and car batteries, pesticides, e-waste, and garden herbicides can be brought to the free Countywide Hazardous Waste Roundup conducted by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Works and Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County.
For more information call the Sanitation Districts of Los Angeles County at (800) 238-0172 or the City of La Mirada’s Public Works Department at (562) 902-2385.
Sponsored jointly by the Sanitation Districts and Los Angeles County, the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program gives Los Angeles County residents a legal and cost-free way to dispose of unwanted household chemicals that cannot be disposed of in the regular trash.
Who can come to the collections?
You can... if you are an LA County resident!
Some examples of what you CAN bring to a HHW collection:
- Motor oil, oil filters, brake fluid
- Used antifreeze
- Paint, paint thinner, turpentine
- Cleaners with acid or lye
- Pesticides or herbicides
- Household batteries or car batteries
- Pool chemicals
- CRT's, old TV's, misc. electronics
- Mercury thermometers or thermostats
- Used Needles or Sharps (In a Sharps container or sturdy box labeled "SHARPS")
- Unwanted or expired prescriptions (MORE INFO)
What you CANNOT bring to a HHW collection:
- Radioactive Materials
- Business Waste
- White Goods (stoves, fridges, etc.)
- Controlled Substances
How should you prepare?
- Bring the items you wish to dispose of in a sturdy box preferably in their original, labeled containers.
- Do not EVER mix products together.
- It is ILLEGAL to transport more than 15 gallons or 125 pounds of hazardous waste in your personal vehicle.
- Be prepared to leave your containers. Because of permitting requirements, and the volume of people that utilize the program, items such as gasoline cans WILL NOT be returned.